zapzen

A place where I get to rant, rave and point out the seemingly obvious, but which I'm constantly amazed to find is not as crystal clear to others. Guess the old saying about there being no single objective reality is true after all!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Dubai Journal 6 - Catching up

Shew - been doing so much, haven't gotten around to blogging anything, so now to recap - I'll blog highlights individually...

Spent quite a bit of time in the desert, first just for a night braai and then on an overnight "safari" as they call it. Discovered another stunning mall, Ibn Battuta, which commemorates the journeys and discoveries of a prodigious Arab explorer. Went out to Dubai Creek, the waterway that divides the two parts of the city. Saw Henry Rollins live in a spoken word performance and had the best espresso I've ever tasted (Jamaican Blue Mountain). Met one of my best friends from school days whom I haven't seen in 14 years (he's an architect whose firm has designed some of the pretty famous buildings here, one of which is on a bank note). Did yet another mall, this one called Madinat, with an "old quarter" feel to it. And have now just come back from Hatta, which is in the middle of the Hajah mountain range in Oman - the most jagged mountains I've ever seen.

I bought a digital camera a few days ago - decided that my 1.3 mega pixel cellphone camera wasn't doing the place justice, so I'm going to create a Flickr gallery and will then upload photos and link to them from the individual entries to follow.

Meantime, here's what I mean about jagged mountains.... (it's worth clicking on to view full size)

Hatah Mountain Range, Oman

2 Comments:

Blogger Roy Blumenthal said...

Dude... what kinda building can you put on a banknote???

Or, to look at it another way... what size are the freaking banknotes there???

Sheesh!

Happy New Year, dude. May it be filled with learning, loving, and laughing!!!

Love
Roy

11:04 pm  
Blogger Zapruder said...

Thanks man - and to you.

There's big money here, ha ha.

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home